Man Utd set to sign Wout Weghorst on loan transfer as striker has Besiktas deal ripped

WOUT OF ACTION MANCHESTER UNITED are set to sign Wout Weghorst on loan after agreeing a compensation fee with Besiktas.

The Dutchman has been on loan in Turkey from Championship Burnley since the start of the season.
Wout Weghorst is set to join Man United
The Red Devils are eager to secure a short-term replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo after axing the Portuguese veteran in November.

According to Turkish outlet A Spor, Weghorst is collecting his things and saying goodbyes at Besiktas this morning before flying back to undergo a medical and sign for Man United.

The Red Devils will pay around £2.65million for his services until the end of the season.

The Dutchman arrived in English football 12 months ago, signing for Burnley as a replacement for Newcastle-bound Chris Wood.

His move didn’t go to plan, however, as he scored just two goals in 20 Premier League appearances as the Clarets were relegated.

He has since been in fine form after moving to Besiktas, netting nine goals in 18 appearances in all competitions for the Turkish side.

Weghorst scored against Kasimpasa in his final appearance for Besiktas last Saturday.

Prior to agreeing a deal, boss Erik ten Hag was warned by Netherlands legend Marco van Basten NOT to sign “too many Dutchmen”.

He told Ziggo Sport: ‘It can become dangerous if you have too many Dutch people and things are not going well.

“You also saw that at Barcelona, when they had five Dutch people. Then it will work against you. Ten Hag has to be careful with that.”

Wesley Sneijder, meanwhile, thinks that the transfer is a “stunt”.

The 38-year-old told Veronica Offside: “I think they’ve seen the trick with the free-kick (vs Argentina at the World Cup), so they don’t fall for that in England any more.

“In terms of a striker, is he really someone United are waiting for? I don’t think so.

“They still have 300 of those in the Premier League. It must be a stunt. This really can’t be true.”

Weghorst was claimed to have trained away from his Besiktas team-mates earlier this week after suffering with a small groin injury.

The Red Devils were previously linked with Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix.

But the Portuguese star joined Chelsea until the end of the season instead.

Author: Victor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *