Greenwood

Mas0n Greenwood remains on Man United’s Premier League squad list after charges dropped

Squad list

Mason Greenwood has remained on Manchester United’s squad list after his charges were dropped.

The forward, 21, has his name on the first-team page on the official website in a possible indication he could resume his football career.

Mason Greenwood’s player profile is still on the website

It could be an indication he may restart his football career

The striker today has all charges against him dropped
His biography reads: “An exciting striker who has been well ahead of schedule in terms of his progress through the ranks at United and has made a huge impact in 2019/20.”

He today had all charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control against him dropped.

Greenwood was first arrested in January last year after police swooped on his mansion.

He was due to stand trial in November accused of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.
The Crown Prosecution today confirmed they had dropped all charges against him.

A spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.

See Also :  Brazil boss Tite reveals reason Neymar didn’t take a penalty in Croatia World Cup shootout as fans theory proved correct

“In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
“We have explained our decision to all parties.

“We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”

Greenwood last appeared in court in November where a trial date was set for November 23 this year.

The alleged offences related to one woman and were said to have taken place between November 1, 2018, and October 15, 2022.

Greenwood was accused of “repeatedly engaging” in controlling and coercive behaviour for almost four years – including making threats and derogatory comments on social media.

He was also charged with attempting to rape the woman on October 21, 2021, and allegedly assaulted her between December 12, 2021, and December 31, 2021.

The footballer was originally remanded in custody after being charged by police on October 15.

But a judge released him on the condition he does not contact witnesses, including the complainant, and resides at an address in Bowdon.

The striker also spent three nights in custody after he was arrested at his £15,000-a-month rented home in Trafford last January.

See Also :  FIFA 2022 - Lionel Messi extends support to injured Argentina duo Paulo Dybala and Angel Di Maria ahead of 2022 FIFA World Cup

He was suspended from Utd but still received his £75,000-a-week salary.

GreenwoodImage from fifa

Greenwood was removed from FIFA 22 and dropped by sponsors Nike in the wake of the allegations.

Football Manager 2022 also confirmed he would not feature in the game.

All merchandise bearing the No11’s name was axed from the official Utd site and teammates unfollowed him on Instagram.

Greenwood last played for the Red Devils on January 22 last year when the team beat West Ham 1-0.

The player joined the club aged just six and rose through the ranks to land himself a regular spot on the first team.

In 2019, he became the youngest footballer to play for United in the Champions League when he took to the pitch aged 17.

Greenwood has made 129 appearances in total for the Red Devils and netted 35 goals.

In 2020, England manager Gareth Southgate gave the striker his first cap when Greenwood came off the bench in a 1-0 win against Iceland.

Greenwood missed out on last year’s Three Lions’ World Cup campaign in Qatar as the case went to court.

See Also :  Romelu Lukaku OUT of World Cup 2022 opener with Belgium’s record scorer expected to miss first two games through injury

Utd have not yet released a statement following the development.

Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, said today: “The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.

“I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them.

“An ever increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.

“If you feel you are or might be a victim, please don’t let this case put you off asking for help.”